Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
1.24 R68 Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Chilton Didcot, Oxon OX11 0XQ UK
TEL: 011 44 1235 446364
FAX: 011 44 1235 446509
POSITION ON MiniSTEP PROJECT
Graduated 1st class honours in Physics (CNAA) from the Polytechnic of
Central London, 1974.
APPOINTMENTS AND PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- 1971-1974 - Research in Gamma Ray Astronomy at Bristol University - Gamma
burst rate studies using coincidence techniques from stratospheric balloon
- 1974-1982 - X-ray spectroscopy and crystallography support for the X-ray
Polychromator (XRP) instrument on the Solar Maximum Mission spacecraft.
- 1981-1990 - Development of large thin film EUV band pass filters for
the Wide Field Camera on the ROSAT spacecraft.
- 1984-1988 - Laboratory based research programme with Reading University
on the use of evaporated thin films to produce normal incidence X-ray mirrors
by means of slow rate ion beam sputtering which recognizes the importance
of crystallographic unit cell in thin film growth for X-ray multilayers.
- 1990-1994 - Instrument Scientist, CDS extreme ultraviolet telescope/spectrometer
instrument on the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO). 1995-Present -
Deputy Project Manager and Instrument Physicist, Modulus Instruments on
the Rosetta Mission for in-situ isotope ratio measurements of cometary
Member, X-ray Optics Steering Committee, SERC/BNSC Astronomy 1 Committee,
Published in both astrophysical and technical journals reflecting broad
physics interests (author and coauthoring over 35 papers and reviews).